Friday, June 7, 2013

My Friend John, brought home some Anasazi Beans yesterday and asked me if I have ever ate them before.
I looked at the beans and said no.  The beans reminded me of red beans without the white part of the bean.
I wanted to try them out and see how they tasted.  I love trying new foods.

I decided to google the  beans to see how they were grown and how to cook them.  Cooking the beans was simple, just adding your normal seasonings and let cook for forty minutes, I decided to cook mines longer.  I added salted pig tail to give it a nice cool flavor,  the beans was very good if I should say so.

I googled  the Anasazi Beans and came up with this.
Anasazi beans grow vigorously, they are climbers.  They are bush beans not like the pole beans.  It is best for them to have a fence or trellis and as each vine comes in, you lead the vine onto the fence or trellis.  The beans are planted  1 1/2 inches in the soil and spaced 2 inches apart.  Lightly cover seeds with soil and water beans bi-weekly.  Keep soil moist, harvest beans in the fall.

Anasazi beans are drought tolerant and is sweeter than the pinto beans.  Anasazi beans are quite flavorful, they will work faster without soaking.

Anasazi beans have been in existence for more than 1,500 years.  They are rare, heirloom red and white mottled bean. They can be grown anywhere because they have a short growing season.  you can plant the seed as soon as the soil is warm in full sun, in well drained soil.  If the bean is cracked to early , germination will be poor.

The Anasazi bean is a dry bean, high in fiber, starch and protein.  Adapted to the climate of the Southwest.  They are Native to the North American region.  The bean was named after the Cliff dwelling Anasazi Native American People of the four corners of Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado.

Anasazi Beans


Anasazi beans are sometimes called Aztec or Cave beans.  They are small, kidney shape and are identifiable by their unique color.  The beans are multicolored and possess a deep shade of red interspersed with a creamy white.

The beans must be stored in a cool dry place until ready for use.

No comments:

Post a Comment